Sunday, March 08, 2015

Green Cascade quilt

A small quilt I can create within 2-3 days. If the size is bigger, it will take longer, but this quilt holds the record :-). I posted about this ice cube dyed fabric in this post of October 11, 2013 and about the quilting in this post of Augst 16, 2014. And after that I needed time to think about what I wanted to do with the quilt.


I knew that I wanted it to be more textural, but the cord I had dyed with the fabric was not usable. The centre of the cord was cotton fiber, but it was covered with a polyester net. I found other 100% cotton cord and dyed this. The scary part was to punch holes through the quilt. Originally the fabric was approximately 40" long and the widt of the fabric but as you can see the final result is much smaller. The cords pulled up the fabric creating this rippling which I love.

As I want to see this on a bigger scale I snow dyed a 3 yard piece of fabric in a different color scheme. Here is a picture of half the fabric:


 I did this last month and at the moment the quilt is waiting to be quilted. Hopefully this will not take as long as the green one :-)

2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I know ALL about quilts that take forever because of having to sit and "simmer" - lol. I'm particularly interested in this thing you're doing with the cord. I've had a thought going back about 10 years to a painting that had grommets running down it a third of the way in from each side and maybe 12 inches apart. A cord was threaded through the grommets and this is what suspended the painting. I always wondered if I could do a similar thing with a quilt. Well, I guess you've answered that question for me! I know for a fact that the thing keeping me from testing it was that cutting the holes in a "finished" quilt. I like what you've done here with the gathering - a lovely textural AND three dimensional piece. It will be interesting to see how this works on your larger piece of beautiful ice-dyed fabric.

Beth said...

I like the texture mixed the the quilting motif. Looking forward to the next piece.