Friday, April 18, 2014

texture and paint

A quick and easy way to create texture is to use a piece of mulberry bark. It comes in either the natural color or bleached. Don't pay attention to the background. I just picked a piece of fabric, knowing that it would be covered anyway. As I am working with circles, it will not be a surprise that this is another circle quilt :-)

I quilted the background first and did the facing before I stitched the circles on it. Next step was to add a layer of gesso and paint. Without the gesso the fabric would soak up a lot of paint. I used my favorite Golden fluid acrylics. In this picture you see that the quilting shows very well now. The texture of the mulberry bark was there, but only when you looked at it from the side..

To solve the lack of contrast, I added another layer of paint. This time only on the mulberry bark circles. I admit the color is not perfect, it is a bit too blue to my liking, but for the moment it will stay like this. Maybe I will add some more at a later moment.
 Here is a detail picture:
I am linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday. Check out the link to see what other artist have done.

7 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

I'm so impressed with the amount of texture and interest you achieve......wonderful!

Windy Hill Happenings said...

Great Texture!

Cda00uk said...

I've got a bit of mulberry bark somewhere - I've been wondering what to do with it... Thanks!

Hilary Florence said...

I've never seen this done before. Intriguing!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Beautiful!! I love this! :)

marsha said...

I love all your circle quilts. And I really like your header piece with the geese.

Carol R. Eaton Designs said...

Could you talk more about Mulberry Bark?