Friday, February 21, 2014

Overlapping circles

For my latest circle quilt I decided to work with commercial batiks. Usually a quilt has 3 layers, but this one has 6: backing fabric, batting and 4 layers on top. In each of the top layers I cut out circles in different sizes and in different places. By positioning the fabrics on top of each other, you get a see-through to the other layers. Here is how the end result looks like:

 And a detail shot:

As you can see for quilting design I followed the design of the fabric. Binding is done with a sheer yellow. Slippery to work with, but I like the transparant effect it gives.
And as it is Friday I am linking this post to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday.

16 comments:

soulbrush said...

Okay this is incredible. You know your quilting just takes my breath away, and this is why! Fabadabadoo.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Stunning! The colors are fab and the quilting perfect! What a wonderful finish!

The Inside Stori said...

A real eye catcher......the black and white print is the perfect touch!

Christine Staver said...

This quilt is wonderful. I love the way you quilted it following the lines in the fabrics.

Norma Schlager said...

Circles and batiks....a wonderful combination and your quilting is perfect.

Ineke said...

Mooi effect.

Sylvia said...

Fun idea!

Unknown said...

ONe of my new favorites!!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Another great circle quilt!

Hilary Florence said...

a very cleaver design. I love the way you can see other circles peeping through the circular holes. I know that is the point, but it works

Anonymous said...

Interesting process. To what extent did you plan ahead where the top layer circles would fall, and to what extent did you count on random? I can envision multiple ways to play with this.

Wil said...

Not much planning :-). After I pinned the paper circles on the fabric I taped the first 2 layers of fabric to the window - big light box :-) -, this I repeated with the next layers. When they looked good I used my circle roller cutter.

Margaret said...

Beautifully executed, Wil, and the colours seem just right together. :-)

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Beautiful! I really love this... :)

Carol R. Eaton Designs said...

Love - Love - Love this!

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Fabulous!