Friday, October 11, 2013

ice cube dyeing

Many quilts I make are small, but now and then I want to create something big. Not certain exactly how big it will be, but I cut a piece of fabric of around 45". This plus a long piece of cotton rope I placed in a gutter after I soda soaked it. On top of this I put a lot of ice cubes and dye powder. Two colors of blue and two of yellow. I let this batch till the next day. After rinsing and washing it looks now like this:

 
The fabric is from P&B (a pfd), but apparently the cotton rope was not pfd. I bought this at JoAnn. The same dye bath, but the result is different. No problem in this case, because I can use it. However if you were aiming for a similar effect, it would have been an unpleasant surprise.
I am linking this to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday's.

6 comments:

Julianne said...

Interesting effects

Unknown said...

What a beautiful piece of fabric and the trim beside it. Very interesting process. Can!t wait to see what you do with it!

Margaret said...

Yummy! And I rather like the soft colours in that cotton yarn. Definitely has potential!

Linda A. Miller said...

Wonderful effects, Wil! They offset each other well.

Regina B Dunn said...

Looks like they will go well together.

The Inside Stori said...

Nothing wrong with this.....the contract will be very effective!