Monday, April 08, 2013

quilting designs


Here are 2 pictures of quilting designs I used for a quilt I am working on. Through the years I have collected more than 1000 different quilt designs and whenever I need a design, I go through them to find an interesting or matching one. I try to quilt in such a way that it is related to the quilt. That can be done by picking a design like wavy lines for sky or bubbles for water or it can be decided by the fabric I used.
The top picture shows 2 different designs based on the fabric. For the fabric with the yellow leaves I followed the lines of the leaves. For the fabric with the purple dots I circled around the dots.
The other picture shows purple branches and green leaves. The branches I quilted in such a way that they give an impression of being round. For the leaves I focussing on the their shape and did a simple shadow quilting.
I work on this quilt when ever I am in between projects. To be honest I started designing this one in 2011 but now it is almost finished. Some details have to be added and part of the binding and sleeve. With a bit of luck it should be done by the end of the week :-).

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Simple but effective. Always interesting to see how different artists approach this phase of design. Because the quilting really is part of the total design.