Saturday, October 06, 2012

Cubism

Cubism was the subject of the latest lesson of Pamela Allen's class. And although the Cubism paintings look so simple, making a Cubism composition is very hard to do. At least it is for me :-).
The first picture shows my starting position. Well starting position is the proper word, because a lot had to be done to it to make it Cubism style.
 First of all, it was too empty. More repitition was needed and the composition was too flat. I started with cutting the top into pieces. Oh boy, that is scary. The first cut was through the wine glass from top right to bottom left. I moved one part a bit higher than the other one and it looked already much better. Sorry, but I forgot to take a picture of that. The second cut was from top left to halfway bottom right. I used some of the cut of fabric and added some more green. Also I added more wine glasses and more grapes. And I changed some of the colors of the word wine. After these changes the composition looked much better:
 But it needed some more definition for which I added a piece of black fabric at the left. This really showed of the glasses much better. With this composition I am happy. I have started quilting it and will show the results later on.

2 comments:

Ineke said...

Ziet er erg ingewikkeld uit, maar is heel mooi geworden.

Anonymous said...

Ik vind cubisme helemaal niet eenvoudig lijken, mooi gedaan, Wil!