Monday, June 28, 2010
If possible I try to find a matching design and as poppies will be appliqued on it, this line drawing of poppies is a perfect quilting design. The process is going slowly, as it is no pleasure to have such a big quilt on your lap, but I am so glad that I am not struggling to push this quilt through the harp of a domestic machine. It is my first real quilt on which I am using my HQ16.
Thursday, June 24, 2010
I emptied different blue dye concentrate - one was turquoise, I think the other one was mixing blue but I am not 100 certain on that - into an ice cube container. Put it into the freezer till the next day. Soda soaked fabric was crunched into a container and the ice cubes were placed on the fabric where they melted. I did not use all the ice cubes and put the remaining ones back into the freezer. This was done on February 24.
This week I used up the ice cubes and this is the fabric which I dyed with them:
Monday, June 21, 2010
With the ATC-group I signed up for 3 swaps so I will be making more ATC's the coming weeks.
For these ATC's I used cardstock, wall paper samples, paint, ink and some felt.
Monday, June 14, 2010
There are different opinions on how long you can keep the dye mixture frozen, but this fabric was down with 1-day old ice cubes. In my freezer are some ice cubes which are by now several months old. One of the coming days I intend to use these and see how much color they still have.
Slowly all my stuff is getting into it's usual place :-). This means that I can show you the result of the break down printing. After the screens have dried enough, I removed all the items which gave an impression. This is rather difficult, because I did not want to damage the layer of dried paint/printpaste mixture. Unfortunately some areas gave way too much.
Next step is to place the screen upside down on -line dried - soda soaked fabric. Apply some clear print paste mixture on the screen and with a squegee (sp?) pulled several times the print paste mixture. The first pulls actually don't show any result, but after some 4-5 pulls the dye mixture slowly let go of the screen. In total I managed to create 4 fq's. At this time there still was dye mixture on the screen but pulling more would have given almost solid fabric.
Almost forgot to mention this, but I used 2 different colors of procion. A red and a purple. I admit the difference is difficult to see. Next time I'll make certain that there is more difference in the colors,
Sunday, June 13, 2010
Friday, June 04, 2010
To create this effect, you need a wet piece of fabric, a plastic garbage bag, acrylic paint and a brush. You pounce the diluted acrylic paint with the brush onto the fabric. I prefer to place the wet fabric into the garbage bag before I do this, so that I do not have to lift the wet fabric into the bag. That is be a bit messy to do :-). On this fabric I used blue and green acrylic paint. No particular brand as any brand will do. For this I used the $0,50 cent bottles from JoAnn.
After this the fabric bag was partly closed and left into a warm place for 3-4 days. Because of the way that the fabric is crunched the diluted paint creeps up a bit and you get this kind of effect:
It looks a bit like the paintings of Jackson Pollock For the moment this fabric will go into my stash. I have no immediate use for it, but one day I will.
Better, but not yet complete. Although I prefer using handmade stamps, there is also a commercial stamp with ovals with I really love. I stamped - again randomly - using a green Lumiere: