Saturday, August 01, 2009

More Fibonacci

The last couple of days I played a bit with Fibonacci numbers. My math is not very good, but in short a Fibonacci sequence is that each num ber in the sequence is the sum of the previous 2 numbers. It goes like this: 0+1=1, 1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5, 3+5=8, 5+8=13 and so on. In nature quite often you see this sequence, for instance Iris have 3 petals and Sunflowers have 21 or 34. Fir cones have their scales arranged in spirals of 8 or 13. Whenever a Fibonnaci sequence is used in a design it is balanced and in harmony. Here are some paper samples I made:



I also had made some with straight paper, but the curved ones I like much more. At the moment they are only paper samples, but it is a design I will play with a bit more.

2 comments:

Hannie de Beer said...

Heel origineel Wil. Leuk om weer die reeks van Fibonacci te gebruiken! Heb je voor dit experiment geverfd papier gebruikt?
M'n vertaling is soms niet helemaal goed.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Wil,

I am back from a short holiday and trying to catch up on some friend's blogs. Love what you have done with the paper shapes. I am sure they will translate very nicely with fabrics. Can't wait to see what you do.

Hugs